Published on Thursday 23 March 2017 in Van News
Newly-released stats are showing an impressive rise in leased vehicle registrations, and which brands are proving the most popular in the first quarter of 2017. Vanarama Content Editor Tom Roberts reports.
2017 is flying by, but it's not the only thing flying right now – the British Vehicle Rental and Leasing Association (BVRLA) has just released figures showing that its members business car and van leasing fleets have grown by 6.6% year-on-year – representing a 3.6% growth in the number of cars, and a 16.2% increase in the number of vans.
This really goes to show just how important leasing is becoming, as more and more business people are choosing to spread the cost of a brand-new commercial vehicle across a lease term, instead of sinking a massive wedge into it in one go.
BVRLA Chief Executive Gerry Keaney said: "The real growth is coming from personal contract hire. BVRLA members can tailor a personal contract hire arrangement to suit a driver's monthly budget and include costs such as maintenance and replacement tyres, and it's clear that more and more customers appreciate these benefits. Our latest statistics show that leasing brokers are providing more and more consumers and businesses with access to affordable vehicle finance. As a lot of the growth is coming from a new audience – small businesses and consumers who are coming to leasing for the first time."
What are the most popular commercial vehicles right now?
In a word, Ford, but there are some notable jumps up the ranks from the likes of Nissan, Renault, Peugeot. Let's dig into the figures provided by The Society of Motor Manufacturers & Traders (SMMT), shall we?
- TOP OF THE CHARTS
- Ford Transit Custom – nearly 50,000 registered in the UK in 2016. It's nearest rival? The Ford Transit, of course, with nearly 30,000.
- NOTABLE JUMPS
- Nissan Navara – 9,500 registered in 2016, up from nothing in 2015. Strong start.
- VW Transporter – 21,500 registered in 2016, up from 19,000 in 2015.
- Ford Transit Connect – 15,500 registered in 2016, up from under 15,000 in 2015.
- Renault Trafic – 15,200 registered in 2016, up from 13,700.
- Ford Ranger – 13,200 registered in 2016, up from 8,000 in 2015.
- Peugeot Boxer – 13,000 registered in 2016, up from 8,500 in 2015.
So, if you're in the market for a brand new commercial vehicle, leasing is one of the most popular ways to get behind the wheel, and you've even got some guidance from the best sellers list to give you a good steer on which vehicles to take a look at.
Give us a call if you have any questions on 01442 838195.