We all know that new cars are more expensive than old cars, right? Well, normally, that would undoubtedly be the case. But with a buoyant second-hand marketplace right now, prices of used motors are becoming increasingly strong – so much so that it is far cheaper (per month) to lease a brand-new car through Vanarama than it is to look at something on an approved used forecourt.
Here, we pick 5 of our current top offers and compare them to similar used vehicles, to show you precisely how much wonga you could save by leasing through Vanarama…
• Our Model: 80kW Iconic R110 50kWh • Leasing Costs: £188.90pcm with 9mths deposit (£1700.10), 6000 miles/year across 36mths • List Price: £17,995 • Comparable Used Example: 2018 ‘68’ Dynamique Nav 110 Auto, 16,000 miles • Monthly Costs: £419.35pcm (on Renault Approved Used Hire Purchase) • Your Monthly Saving By Leasing With Vanarama: £230.45 Great savings with Vanarama apply to electric cars, just as much as they do petrol and diesel models. Take our corking deal on a Renault Zoe Iconic, which comes with a 50kWh battery for a 240-mile range. Not only can we offer this brand-new car to you for less than £200pcm, we also throw in a free home charger worth £900 plus free installation, as well as 1 year’s free insurance (worth on average £538). That’s on top of a £230.45-a-month saving, compared to if you buy a 3-year-old Zoe Dynamique Nav with 16,000 miles on the clock, and a smaller 40kWh battery giving you less driving range, through Renault Hire Purchase finance.
• Our Model: 1.0 EcoBoost Hybrid MHEV 125 ST-Line X 5dr • Leasing Costs: £216.87pcm with 9mths deposit (£1951.83), 6000 miles/year across 48mths • List Price: £18,795 • Comparable Used Example: 2018 ‘18’ 1.0 EcoBoost 125 ST-Line, 18,100 miles • Monthly Costs: £545.44pcm (through a personal loan at 2.9% APR) • Your Monthly Saving By Leasing With Vanarama: £328.57 A nice, sporty, stylish Ford Focus hatchback is always tempting and a used 2018 example for £18,795 looks a good deal. Ford will offer you credit on this approved used car, but if you were to take out a personal loan for the full amount at a very low 2.9% APR across 36 months, you’d be paying back almost £550pcm. Granted, you wouldn’t have to find the near-2-grand deposit you’d need for a new model from Vanarama, but then our car is a higher specification ST-Line X, it’s now fitted with fuel-saving mild-hybrid technology when the 2018 car isn’t, and it’s a whopping £328.57 less per month to lease – meaning you’ll have pretty much paid off that deposit in cash savings within 6 months. You’ll also have the Ford for 4 years on our cracking lease deal. It’s a no-brainer, really.
• Our Model: 1.3 DIG-T MHEV 158 Acenta Premium Xtronic 5dr • Leasing Costs: £229.95pcm with 9mths deposit (£2069.55), 6000 miles/year across 60mths • List Price: £20,795 • Comparable Used Example: 2018 ‘68’ 1.3 DIG-T 160 Acenta Premium DCT 5dr, 23,000 miles • Monthly Costs: £363.34pcm (on Nissan Approved Used PCP, 36mth deal at 8000 miles/year, 10% deposit) • Your Monthly Saving By Leasing With Vanarama: £133.39 The Nissan Qashqai is one of the most in-demand crossovers of the lot and we could save you more than £130pcm by leasing with us, instead of chalking up a PCP deal with Nissan for a decent approved used example in a near-identical spec. Again, our newer car is a mild hybrid, whereas the second-hand vehicle is a ‘pure’ petrol, but don’t worry that your neighbours might not know the difference – our car is a brand-spanking-new Mk3 Qashqai, whereas the 68-plate car is the obsolete Mk2. The final cherry on the cake is that we won’t ask you for a big balloon payment in 5 years’ time when our lease term is up, which is the only thing keeping the used PCP monthly costs down to a reasonable level on the older Nissan.
• Our Model: 40 TFSI Sport S tronic Tech Pack 4dr • Leasing Costs: £322.91pcm with 9mths deposit (£2906.19), 6000 miles/year across 48mths • List Price: £20,445 • Comparable Used Example: 2018 ‘67’ 1.8 TFSI 190 S tronic SE Executive, 27,700 miles • Monthly Costs: £429.58pcm (on Audi Approved Used Hire Purchase with £3000 deposit, 48mth deal, 8.8% APR) • Your Monthly Saving By Leasing With Vanarama: £106.67 Proper executive car luxury is provided by the Audi A6 and, just like with the Qashqai example above, this isn’t just a case of ‘new v old numberplates’ – our shiny 40 TFSI Sport A6 saloon is a ‘C8’ 5th-generation car, whereas the nearest similar example we could find for the budget was a ‘C7’ Mk4 with almost 30,000 miles showing on the clock. And not only are you saving a generous £106.67 a month by going with Vanarama, you also get 1 year’s free insurance on the A6 40 TFSI. A further sweetener on the deal is that you end up with a smoother, 204hp 2.0-litre engine, instead of the older Audi’s 190hp 1.8. All ends up, leasing with us is a real winner here.
Range Rover Evoque
• Our Model: P300e R-Dynamic S 5dr • Leasing Costs: £417.90pcm with 9mths deposit (£3761.10), 6000 miles/year across 36mths • List Price: £35,406 • Comparable Used Example: 2018 ‘68’ Landmark 2.0 Si4 240, 24,000 miles • Monthly Costs: £1000.13pcm (on Land Rover Approved Used Hire Purchase with £3750 deposit, 36mth deal, 8.9% APR) • Your Monthly Saving By Leasing With Vanarama: £582.23 This deal’s so good that we can hardly believe it ourselves – but the numbers don’t lie. The Range Rover Evoque is one of the most sought-after cars of the 21st century, hence why even a 3-year-old example in Landmark spec with the 2.0-litre, 240hp 4-cylinder turbocharged petrol engine and 24,000 miles on the clock results in a list price of 35 grand. That means that at 6000 miles per annum, across 36 months on Land Rover’s Approved Used HP scheme at 8.9% APR, you’re looking at £1000pcm to put a tidy second-hand Range Rover on your drive. OR… alternatively, you could go with us. On the same leasing terms and period, you get a brand-new Mk2 Evoque, instead of the old Mk1, you get racier R-Dynamic S specification, and you also enjoy the advanced plug-in hybrid drivetrain of the P300e model, which has a 1.5-litre, 3-cylinder engine plus a useful electric motor for 309hp, 0-62mph in 6.1 seconds, 34 miles of all-electric driving range and CO2 emissions of just 44g/km. And your monthly saving? A ginormous £582.23. You’re very, very welcome.